« Home | A few nights before she left, Jamie and I made a g... » | I enjoyed the first Max Payne enough to complete i... » | Someone recently asked me to suggest a digital cam... » | This is, officially, the world's ugliest phone. » | Holy cow crap in a bag; I've added more photos! ... » | So great. If I ever get a nice car and an office... » | If you need a quiet CPU fan for an Athlon: Therma... » | Worst Jobs In Science: "I was a teenage stool-samp... » | I'm a healthy motherfucker. I stepped on the scal... » | So true! »

Ugh and double ugh. My current project at work has proved next to impossible and the deadline is being to peek over the horizon. Basically, I need to categorize various bug fixes. The difficult portion of this project is that I'm given the updated source code for each bug fix but the report needs to know the final location in our image of these fixes. From what I've seen, there is no way to trace a source file to the eventual binary file in the image.

I thought I had a good idea to build the image, apply the changes, rebuild and see which files changed. I did that to a very small bug fix and 10% of the files changed (~1000)! I figured that had to be wrong so I compiled the full image, made no changes then compiled again. I saw that roughly 10% of the files had changed again. This is going to be tough to figure out.