« Home | ZAGAT SURVEY: Unfit for print » | Whoa, Saddam captured? I guess being up at 5 AM ... » | 4:15 AM and I've been trying to sleep since 11:30 ... » | I'm sure my WRX-loving friends (Jeff, Joe, Jenn, E... » | Only in Redmond, Washington are you going to find ... » | Yesterday, I was talking to the person on my team ... » | Ok, about AX: This Saturday, I decided that since... » | Remind me to post about being hit on at AX and my ... » | iDuck: "Akuma, no one is buying our USB drives! W... » | Once again, learning something not from Slashdot, ... »

Sorry that I disappeared for a few days there; I have a good reason. On Monday while playing racquetball, I severely injured my knee again.

Here is how I did it. Instead of wearing my normal cross-trainer shoes to play rball, I was wearing my turf shoes. Turf shoes have amazing traction on almost any surface, including the hardwood floor of the rball court. Whenever I land from a jump, I keep my foot perpendicular to my shoulders until I land, when I rotate my foot away from my body for added balance. that is how you are supposed to land. Well, when I landed this time, I went to rotate my foot but my shoe decided to have super traction and not move. All of the rotational force went straight to the inner portion of my left knee.

It was 10 PM by the time I got home, so I couldn't see a doctor on Monday. The next morning, I waited until I heard from Kat to make an appointment since I figured her dad (a doctor) would be able to make a good recommendation. When I called to make an appointment at 11 AM, they were booked for the day and I had to wait until Wednesday. The x-ray shows that I definitely did some serious damage and that I also have a bone shard taken off the medial portion of my left knee. Because of the amount of swelling, the doc recommended that I get an MRI. That was done the same day but I will not get the results until at least Friday afternoon. The current prognosis is a torn MCL, stretched ACL, torn meniscus and the bone shard. Lovely.

I'm currently wearing a huge brace but the pain is not so bad. It comes and goes and luckily I can walk fairly well. I missed a day and a half of work, so I'm a bit behind now.